On the eve of the WS100 entry application, we thought it would be interesting to gage runners’ interest, thoughts, and general view of the race, so an informal comment-style questionnaire follows along with my answers. (just copy questions and write over my answers).
1) Do you want to run Western States?
-yes and no. It’s like spoiled milk in the fridge; you know it’s not what you want to do but you sniff it anyway just to see what it’s like.
2) Why/why not?
-Yes, because then I can comment on it with base knowledge and experience and not just sound like some windbag armchair WS basher.
3) Are you entering the lottery?
-Yes. (not holding my breath on getting in)
4) What do you like or dislike about WS100?
-Like – history and challenge. I’ve heard it’s amazing and I’ve heard it’s over-hyped and not that interesting. Dislike – Entry fee. Old boys network. The event’s general exclusive attitude and feel.
5) Should the WS board allow (invite!) Karl Meltzer to the race? Why/why not?
-Hell yes. The man is a legend. How can you have such a “wonderful” event and not have a legend run it?
6) Anyone else think it’s odd that the qualifying events (Montrail Cup) are not representational of racing 100 miles?
-I sure do. As Karl pointed out today on irunfar’s employee, AJW’s post today, a 100 is like three 50s. It’s like using a 10k to qualify for Boston.
7) What is the most annoying thing about the event? Hype (like this post)? Elitism? Entry fee? Smoke and mirrors of the entry/lottery process?
-All the above.
8) Here’s a fun one… Will the US get crushed again this year in the race?
-I’ll say no because Salomon probably will move on and find something else to dominate. Business is done there.
9) What are some other 100s you believe are better and why? Terrain? Entry? Direction? Lack of or more competition? Nicer schwag?
-Having not done WS, I can only say which 100s in my small experience I like: HARDROCK, Grand Mesa was a tough bastard too.
10) What are you going to do when you don’t get selected in the lottery? Grumble online? Sigh and have a beer? Write a constructive letter to the WS board outlining the unethical and unfair entry process and what they should do about it? Run another 100 in June?
-Hopefully be focused on Hardrock. (probably grumble online a bit too).
Have a good weekend, follow along at Javelina 100. The field is deep with talent and they’ll be enduring some nasty weather this weekend.